About our Film Collection
The Centro Library and Archives houses one of the most extensive collections of films documenting the Puerto Rican experience. The collection includes documentaries, public service news programs; Hollywood produced feature films, as well as those produced by the film industry in Puerto Rico.
Presently we house over 500 titles, both in DVD and VHS format. The collection is circulating and is made available for teaching, study and entertainment purposes with due consideration for copyright and intellectual property laws.
Film Lending Policy
Our policy requires that films be picked up at our facility, we do not mail out. Films from the collection may be borrowed by college professors, elementary and secondary school teachers for classroom presentations during the school year. We also lend to student clubs and community based organizations.
For individuals conducting personal research, or for students who need to view films for class assignments, we ask that they call and make an appointment for viewing the film(s) at our facilities, 212-396-7880.
We are located at the Centro Library and Archives.
The Lois V. and Samuel J. Silberman School of Social Work
2180 Third Avenue at 119th Street, 1st Floor, Room 120
New York, NY 10035
Procedures for Borrowing Films
- Reserve films one week in advance.
- A maximum of 2 FILMS may be borrowed at a time.
- Pick-up film(s) at the Centro Library and Archives with proper identification and sign contract which specifies obligations and responsibilities while the film(s) is in your possession.
- Films must be hand delivered and given to a member of the Centro Library and Archives staff; if it becomes necessary to return the film via mail please insure it for at least $200.00 and keep receipt.
- All efforts should be made to return the films when due, if for any reason this becomes impossible please notify us. If you fail to contact us a late fee will be assessed for each day the film is overdue.
- Reserve by calling 212-396-7874 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org