The Center for Puerto Rican Studies at Hunter College (Centro)
Puerto Rico, Puerto Ricans National Youth Leadership Encuentro
New York City
June 4-7, 2019
ABOUT THE SUMMIT
The Puerto Rico, Puerto Ricans National Youth Leadership Encuentro is a student driven four day leadership experience. Participants will explore the socio-economic crises that Puerto Ricans in the United States and Puerto Rico face; and gain the skills necessary to analyze, frame, and develop solutions that would impact Puerto Ricans throughout the nation.
The Encuentro will provide a safe space for the discussion of policy issues and the articulation of community responses to Puerto Rico's challenges from the perspective of stateside Puerto Ricans and other stakeholders.
Learn about the current situation in Puerto Rico and its impact on stateside Puerto Ricans, through presentations and discussions at the Encuentro, events, videos and Centro research.
Connect with other student leaders through networking and community-building events. Attendees will have the opportunity to meet with community leaders from around the country, exchange ideas about affecting social change for our community, and dream a better future for 8.7 million Puerto Ricans.
Develop plans of action for addressing Island and stateside socio-economic challenges.
CONFERENCE DATES AND LOCATION
- The Encuentro will be held over 4 days/3 nights, June 4-7, 2019
- All sessions will be held at the Brookdale Campus Residence Hall
- Participants will also be housed at the Brookdale Campus Residence Hall
- Empower student leaders with the skills necessary to advocate on behalf of Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico and the Diaspora;
- Enrich understanding of Puerto Rican history, traditions, and culture;
- Deepen understanding of Puerto Rico Post-Maria challenges;
- Enhance leadership skills; and
- Encourage networking with other student leaders and professionals
SELECTION CRITERIA: Applicant must be:
- A current undergraduate or graduate student
- Between the ages of 18-24
- Have demonstrated exceptional leadership potential (as demonstrated by participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities)
- Willing to engage in and contribute to sessions and discussions throughout the summit
The total cost of attending the summit is $700 (travel, local transportation, lodging, and meals)
There are a limited number of full scholarships (10) and partial scholarships (10). You may apply for a scholarship on the application form.
25 Puerto Rican student leaders and allies will be nominated by key Centro partners throughout the United States and Puerto Rico, and asked to complete an application. Applications are due by 6:00 PM on Friday, May 10, 2019.
IF SELECTED, you will
- Be notified by May 20, 2019;
- Be required to complete the Puerto Rican Heritage Culture Ambassador online course; and
- Complete a registration packet.
If you have any questions, you may email the Centro Outreach team at firstname.lastname@example.org.