Start Date: Available immediately Closing Date: Open until filled
Status: Part-Time (10-15 hrs./week)
Salary range: $45-59/hr (commensurate with experience and qualifications)
Location: New York, NY (Hybrid)
About the Position:
The Center for Puerto Rican Studies at Hunter College (CENTRO) is seeking a part-time Press Coordinator to help promote the organization’s various programs, events, publications, and initiatives to a wider audience. The Press Coordinator should be able to effectively pitch to major and local English and Spanish-speaking media outlets in New York City and Puerto Rico to increase the organization’s visibility and reach.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive media strategy for the organization in collaboration with the Director of Communications.
- Write and distribute press releases, media advisories, and other materials to promote major events, exhibitions, research findings, and publications like the CENTRO Journal and Puerto Rican Voices.
- Pitch feature stories and interviews to major English and Spanish-speaking media outlets in New York City and Puerto Rico.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key reporters, editors, and producers in both NYC and Puerto Rican media outlets.
- Monitor media coverage of the organization and its programs and provide regular reports to the Director of Communications.
- Attend major institutional events where press may be present.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Relations or Communications
- Demonstrated experience in public relations, media relations, or related fields.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Proven success in securing feature stories and interviews with major English and Spanish-speaking media outlets as well as press coverage for important institutional events.
- Existing relationships with media outlets in New York City and Puerto Rico.
- Ability to work collaboratively with the Director of Communications and other staff members.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish not required, but a plus.
- Knowledge of Puerto Rican culture and history is a plus.
Please submit you Resume & Cover Letter (optional) through this form to apply.
CENTRO, The Center for Puerto Rican Studies at Hunter College, is the largest university-based research institute, library, and archive dedicated to the Puerto Rican experience in the United States. We provide support to students, scholars, artists, and members of the community at large across and beyond New York.