CENTRO is seeking a full-time Communications Director to help develop, coordinate and execute a comprehensive communications strategy to engage our audiences, raise brand awareness, and increase support for CENTRO. The person in this role will be in charge of creating social media content, producing a bi-monthly digital newsletter, writing copy for the website and providing strategic vision for overall communications.
Interested candidates must show a demonstrated interest in CENTRO’s mission, as well as have a passion for collaborating with community members and organizations.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing consistent messaging for internal and external audiences that aligns with CENTRO’s mission, vision, and values
- Creating email and social media content, promotional materials, mailers, and website content to engage target audiences
- Collaborating with CENTRO’s team leaders to strategically advance organizational and programmatic goals
- Writing and editing press releases, developing talking points, collaborating on op-eds, press kit materials
- Editing grant proposals, presentations, fact sheets, and other supporting material as needed
- Developing & maintaining effective working relationships with media outlets and ensuring maximum visibility for CENTRO in local, state and regional media outlets.
- Working closely with the director to position CENTRO researchers and staff to serve as thought leaders and community advocates
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, English, Journalism or related field preferred
- Experience creating content and managing print and media campaigns
- Excellent writing and editing skills with a strong command of storytelling
- Spanish/English fluency preferred
- Distilling complex ideas into simple, approachable language for a variety of audiences and channels
- Ability to create and sustain an engaging voice on social media
- Commitment to and knowledge of Puerto Rican history and culture in Puerto Rico and its diaspora
- Commitment to social justice, online advocacy, and digital strategic communications
- Sensitivity, understanding and the ability to effectively interact with individuals from diverse backgrounds
$65,000.00 – $85,000.00
New York City
The Center for Puerto Rican Studies at Hunter College, CENTRO is the largest university-based research institute, library, and archive dedicated to the Puerto Rican experience in the United States.