The Center for Puerto Rican Studies at Hunter College in New York (CENTRO) and the Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Puerto Rico (MAC) are announcing a new art and research residency titled Mac in El Barrio in NY. The residency is designed to raise the visibility of Afro-Puerto Rican visual artists, ages 24 and older, and to support these artists as they develop important artistic contributions to the field of Puerto Rican studies and culture. The artists will have full access to CENTRO’s library and archives, and are required to incorporate items from CENTRO’s collections into their work.
The Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Puerto Rico started MAC in the Neighborhood, an extramural program, in 2014 and plans to extend the effort to more Puerto Rican communities across the U.S. in the future.
The residency will last from June to September in 2023. The proposals must be submitted on or before August 1, 2022 at 11:59 PM. The selected proposal will be announced on October 1, 2022.
Art and Education, Art and Diaspora, Afro Puerto Ricans, Art, Archives, Creativity, Community Immersion, Learning and Transformation.
- This call is aimed at professional artists, 24 years and older.
- The artist must be a member of the Puerto Rican diaspora in the United States.
- The artist will have full access to CENTRO’s library and archives.
- The artist is required to incorporate items from CENTRO’s collections into their work.
- The artist is required to integrate community immersion methodologies that promote cultural equity and give visibility to the experience of the Puerto Rican community in New York.
- The Center for Puerto Rican Studies will provide a work space for the artist to carry out their research.
- The Center for Puerto Rican Studies will offer preferential and personalized support to the artist.
The artist will receive a stipend of $10,000.00.
Interested participants can submit their application and required documents using the provided application link.
- CV (max 3 pages) with a link to your artistic portfolio
- Proposal with a project description, objectives, production phases, documentary research methodology, and community immersion methodology
- Breakdown of the use of $10,000 stipend.